Tuesday, June 21, 2011

holy grandeur

Aaron and I went to Teton National Park and Yellowstone last weekend. Two of our friends were getting married and having their reception in Cody, WY, so we used it as an excuse to get out of Provo for a bit. And we loved seeing our friends happily married, or course.

Neither of us had ever been to the Tetons. When I saw them, and Aaron asked me what I thought, my words were "Holy Grandeur!" I will warn you now, I absolutely loved these mountains, so there are a lot of pictures of them. I had a hard time choosing which ones to include.

We arrived at the park after 7 hours of driving, around 5:00 p.m. and decided to go on a little hike to Taggart Lake, since my friend who's reception we were going to is Catherine Taggart.










It was beautiful and serene. But it was cold, and we were hungry, so we walked back to the car and headed back down to Jackson Hole for burgers and some hot chocolate.


By the time we got back to the park, it was already dark. All the campgrounds in the Tetons cost $20 a night, and it was already late. After much debate, hindered by the fact that we were both sleepy and had been in a car for a whole day, we decided to pull over and sleep in the car. We were freezing cold, and quite uncomfortable. When 6 a.m. came around, however, it didn't matter how sleepy I was. As soon as I saw the sun coming up and shining on the Tetons, the misty clouds hanging low, I was pumping with adrenaline. "Holy Majestic Grandeur!" Aaron kept sleeping in the back seat, finally warm and comfortable, as I drove through the park taking pictures. It was really hard not to wake him up, but he was really tired.
















After a while I could not stand it anymore. Aaron was missing the most beautiful scenery on earth. So I woke him up and brought him down to the lake. His energy came when he saw all the stones to skip. We even found the perfect stone. Aaron was in awe.



After we got all the stone skipping out of us, and I was frustrated enough because I couldn't skip any, we warmed up in the nearby lounge of a hotel, checked some e-mails, and headed north to Yellowstone.

2 comments: