Monday, January 23, 2012

6 or 1?

Which is better?

Having a handful of jobs that each require their own individual planning and preparation?




(Not Pictured: BYU Children's Creative Dance, and working for myself trying to teach yoga from home)

Sure, my hourly rate is more than double minimum wage, but it is quite challenging to actually get the hours.

Love it? Yes. I get to teach dance and yoga--what doesn't sounds great about that? No desks. No managers (basically). Trying to help people feel better in their bodies and enjoy moving and living. Plus, I do have good amount of free time (due to the difficulty of getting more hours).

Tiring? Yes. For example, I need to choreograph 8 dances in the near future. I have some job to go to 6 days a week. And it's all teaching. Teaching (especially the younger ones) is tiring. Many hours not spent at the job is spent planning for the job. Not to mention the driving or biking to each of these various locations.

But what would I be doing instead? It's better to kill yourself with what you love, right?


Not to mention, for the past two weeks I have been rehearsing with Utah Regional Ballet for their Choreography Design Projects show. Didn't know about it until the artistic director asked me to choreograph a week before we were scheduled to start. Choreographing = extra tiring. So after the shows this weekend, perhaps the many jobs won't feel like so much anymore.



1 comment:

  1. Rach, I feel like I know where you're coming from. Teaching a lot of classes is exhausting (I taught 9 dance classes yesterday and only 2 of them involved dancers over the age of 7) and having them all at different locations just adds to the craziness. I don't know how you do all the choreography too. I did some composition projects last year, but felt like they weren't as good as they should have been since I had so much going on. A few thoughts?... 1. Remember that it is okay to say no sometimes. 2. Be patient. Sometime it will all fall together and you'll find a place where you can teach more and drive less. 3. You are incredible. You are such a talented teacher and choreographer. I would pay big bucks to take a class from you any day. I am so proud of you, friend!

    ReplyDelete